21. Book Review: The Goldfinch (2014)

Monday, June 9, 2014



Synopsis
Theo Decker, a 13-year-old New Yorker, miraculously survives an accident that kills his mother. Abandoned by his father, Theo is taken in by the family of a wealthy friend. Bewildered by his strange new home on Park Avenue, disturbed by schoolmates who don't know how to talk to him, and tormented above all by his longing for his mother, he clings to the one thing that reminds him of her: a small, mysteriously captivating painting that ultimately draws Theo into the underworld of art. 
 As an adult, Theo moves silkily between the drawing rooms of the rich and the dusty labyrinth of an antiques store where he works. He is alienated and in love--and at the center of a narrowing, ever more dangerous circle. 
 The Goldfinch is a mesmerizing, stay-up-all-night and tell-all-your-friends triumph, an old-fashioned story of loss and obsession, survival and self-invention, and the ruthless machinations of fate.

Review
After hearing so many polarizing opinions (I LOVED IT! I HATED IT!) reviews about this book I was pretty sure I was going to avoid it.  I was afraid it was overhyped and I usually like to know in advance of reading a book if I am going to remotely like it… and since it was polarizing I didn't think I would take the chance or I would at least just wait for a copy to show up at the library randomly (fate! then it's meant to be, right?!).  
Then it became the next book club selection for my book club and I realized I was actually glad it was "assigned" reading.  Now I could find out what all the hype was about with out buying into the hype (or something… that was my reasoning).  Let me say that this book really did live up the hype. It was moving and sad and thought-provoking and redeeming and full to the brim with humanity.  It was quite a long book but I read it less than a week… just pouring over the pages and absorbing them and not even realizing what was going on around me.  And for all it's depth and sadness and tragic story lines… it absolutely redeemed itself at the end.  And even if it hadn't of (which it absolutely did - the last chapter is so beautiful and meant to be read and re-read) it still would have been an amazing literary experience.  I am now quite curious as to what this authors other books are like.  This is a great book club selection with so many juicy parts to dissect and discuss among friends.

Other books you may like…
(for some reason The Goldfinch reminded me so much of Dragon Tattoo… plus, Goldfinch even references Dragon Tattoo… funny, huh?!)
Bookmark and Share

No comments:

Post a Comment