29. Book Review: Maine (2014)

Monday, August 4, 2014

Maine by J. Courtney Sullivan

Synopsis
For the Kellehers, Maine is a place where children run in packs, showers are taken outdoors, and old Irish songs are sung around a piano. As three generations of women arrive at the family's beach house, each brings her own hopes and fears. Maggie is thirty-two and pregnant, waiting for the perfect moment to tell her imperfect boyfriend the news; Ann Marie, a Kelleher by marriage, is channeling her domestic frustration into a dollhouse obsession and an ill-advised crush; Kathleen, the black sheep, never wanted to set foot in the cottage again; and Alice, the matriarch at the center of it all, would trade every floorboard for a chance to undo the events of one night, long ago. 

 Review
This was a true summer beach read in all senses of the word.  I mean, just look at the cover, right? While I will say that I enjoyed this book I won't say that I absolutely loved it.  Although I really do find myself thinking about the characters even days after I have finished it.  And with such a cliff hanger of an ending I almost feel like a sequel could work for this book.  I loved the complicated family dynamics and how the author portrayed the story as a whole from the individual characters points of view - even though at times it was a little confusing reading about the events twice.  Each character was so brilliantly written that I found I quickly related to and understood each character - which I think can be difficult for an author to do.  My verdict: definitely pack it in your beach bag this summer.

Other books you may like…
Bookmark and Share

No comments:

Post a Comment