31. Book Review: The Fever (2014)

Tuesday, August 19, 2014

The Fever: A Novel by Megan Abbott

Synopsis
The panic unleashed by a mysterious contagion threatens the bonds of family and community in a seemingly idyllic suburban community. 
 The Nash family is close-knit. Tom is a popular teacher, father of two teens: Eli, a hockey star and girl magnet, and his sister Deenie, a diligent student. Their seeming stability, however, is thrown into chaos when Deenie's best friend is struck by a terrifying, unexplained seizure in class. 
Rumors of a hazardous outbreak spread through the family, school and community. As hysteria and contagion swell, a series of tightly held secrets emerges, threatening to unravel friendships, families and the town's fragile idea of security.

Review
I had heard this book reviewed in a few places with glowing reviews.  I will say the story line was interesting - girls dropping of weird symptoms left and right is quite the page turner - but I found the character development a little lacking and the whole book a little ho-hum.  This is just my very small opinion of it, but I found the high school setting and characters a little contrived. For a book that should have been a fun and quick read, it seemed long and a little laborious at times.
That being said this book is characterized as a "dark" novel or a "noir" novel and that genre isn't one I usually gravitate towards.  So it could be that the genre of the book was a wrong fit for me.  I'm glad I read it though. It's interesting as a parent to see into the lives of high school students or even think what I would do in the circumstances of the book. This would be a great book to discuss in a book club as well.

You may also like…
Bookmark and Share

No comments:

Post a Comment